Mini Bites 40.0

And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on Him. I myself did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God."

I have issues with God: trust issues. I want to see the whole picture for my life. Just knowing a corner of the frame is not enough for me. 

But that's how life with Him goes: no matter how many times I've begged Him for my life manual, the unabridged version not some pamphlet, God continues to shine just one part of the canvas, asking me to step into the current spotlight.

And I fight and I struggle because that small illumination does not quell my fears of getting it wrong, of failure, of missing Him. If I see one part, who's to say that in this part I would not make decisions that could mess up the rest of the painting? I need to see everything to make sure that no mistakes are made.

But with those fears, I forget that if I do get it wrong, if I fail then God will make it good and if I miss Him, then He will find me. I need to trust He is more than enough in those places where I lack.

God is not playing hide-and-seek. He's not hard to find. He wants to be in relationship with us. He wants to lead us and once we understand that, we can fearlessly go where He calls us, trusting He'll share the rest of the details when needed.

In John 1, John the Baptist is baptizing people in the Jordan River. He's making way for the Messiah but as the verses above illustrate John has no clue as to who it is.

But that doesn't deter John. John was committed to what God called him to do. He doesn't abandon his post when, after baptizing countless people (who came to the river to hear his message of repentance), it turned out that the Messiah wasn't among them. 

It didn't matter how long he had to stay in the water or how many people he saw: if this is where God wanted him, John knew it was for good reason.

And it was, because one day Jesus finally showed up. Although, John didn't know who He was, God clued him in when it was time. Jesus didn't have to introduce Himself, God did. John didn't have to guess, God pointed Him out.

We can learn a lot from this moment:
  1. Be committed to where God has you. It is not a waste of time, it is not a detour. It is a divine appointment where God is going to reveal something to you.
  2. Be committed to what God wants you to do in this moment of your life. John knew his purpose was to bring people to repentance so that the Messiah might be revealed. He didn't waste his time trying to unveil who the Savior was. John stayed in his lane of preparing the people to behold the Lamb of God.
    • What you are doing is important. If John got it inside his head to go find the Messiah then those people would have never been ready for Jesus' coming. Don't discount what God has you doing. It's important.
  3. Allow God to do the revealing. He will do it at the right time in the right way. He has all the pieces, He knows how everything works together. Rest in God, knowing that He knows what's best.
When you're on mission for God with three pieces of the puzzle, it can be frustrating because it seems that you don't have enough. But you do and when you've exhausted the three in your hand, He'll give you the other set of three when the time is right.

You don't have to relocate, you don't have to change lanes or do something different.

Where you are and what you are doing has purpose. And when it's time for the next thing, God will tell you. You can trust in that truth.

No comments